Multi-tone in VT DOS *E

Multi-tone in VT DOS *E

Postby Josephus » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:48 am

Can the VT DSO...-E signal generator output in the single output a dual tone (multi-tones) from the VI software? The signal generator in the software automatically activate the A & B in multi tone selection option. Would the hardware from the DSO combine the two since there is only one digital output connection on the DSO? It would be like converting a stereo output into a mono output. I am considering to get one of those units and that features would be attractive to me. I already have VI software pro since 2018. I can do that using my soundcard using a stereo to mono convertor which is cool. I would like to be able to do that in much higher frequencies than are possible with soundcards. I tried to upload a image but I could not see it in previous so I don't know if it worked.
Josephus

Re: Multi-tone in VT DOS *E

Postby VirtinsTech » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:45 pm

When the device has only one analog output channel, only one channel will be activated on the signal generator panel (see picture below). MultiTone is supported only under streaming mode (non-DDS), therefore the maximum sampling rate sustainable is about 5MHz (16 bits, single channel) without the oscilloscope running.

SignalGeneratorPanelwithVTDSO-E.png
SignalGeneratorPanelwithVTDSO-E.png (26.22 KiB) Viewed 10916 times
VirtinsTech
Site Admin

Postby Josephus » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:58 pm

Thanks for the reply that helps. I am not sure what you mean when you said while the scope in not running. What happens when the scope is running? Can I not use that signal to my DUT and feed it back to the scope to see the difference? would the sampling rate be much lower if the scope is running?
Josephus

Postby Josephus » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:00 pm

I guess what you meant was no loopback setting.
Josephus

Postby VirtinsTech » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:11 am

Streaming mode uses the USB bandwidth to stream data. The current VT DSOs support USB 2.0 high speed which is about 480 Mbits/s. Our tests show that the max. sustainable sampling rate for either the oscilloscope (for input) or the signal generator (for output) is about 10MHz @ 8 bits, single channel. If both the Oscilloscope and the signal generator are running, the max. sampling rate will have to be at least halved.
VirtinsTech
Site Admin

Postby VirtinsTech » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:18 am

On the other hand, it is possible to define the waveform of a multitone using a CSV file (see Section 4.3.1.9.1 Waveform Library File (*.wfl) of the software manual) and then use the DDS mode of the signal generator of the VT DSO to generate it. In this way, the limitation of the streaming mode is avoided.
VirtinsTech
Site Admin

Postby Josephus » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:43 am

Thank you for the additional info. This is very helpful. I will consider my options within the next few days
Josephus

Postby Josephus » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:53 am

I will probably go with the VT DSO 2810-E . Can you tell me the production (manufacturing) date (year) of the units you have in stock if I ordered one. Thanks
Josephus

Postby Josephus » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:33 am

I just ordered the VT DSO 2820E after all, which I hope will be a good upgrade from my 1980's RF testing equipments. Joseph
Josephus

Return to Questions